We hope that everyone enjoys their experience at the Walters Art Museum. Please observe these guidelines to help us ensure a safe and enjoyable stay for our visitors, and to protect our collection for future generations.
For additional information, please contact our Visitor Services Desk at 410-547-9000, ext. 264.
We welcome all visitors. The main Centre Street entrance is equipped with a wheelchair lift. Elevators serve all of the museum’s public areas. Learn about our resources for visitors with special needs.
To Protect Visitors and Art
- Upon arrival, all parcels brought into the museum are subject to search.
- Please store the following items in our complimentary lockers: any large bags or packages over 13″ x 17″, large umbrellas, and tripods. For safety reasons, these items are not allowed in the museum.
- Museum gallery officers help keep the museum safe for all visitors. Please follow their instructions when asked.
- Do not touch the objects on display. The oil from your hands can damage the artwork.
- Do not bring outside food or drink into the museum. Food, drink, and gum are not allowed in the galleries.
- Smoking and vaping are not permitted in the museum.
- Do not sit or stand on platforms or lean on display cases.
Visiting with Kids
- Families with children of all ages are always welcome at the Walters.
- Strollers are welcome, although their use may be restricted during peak times. A limited number of strollers are available for free on a first-come, first-served basis at the Visitor Services Desk.
- Most of the restrooms are equipped with baby changing stations.
- For safety reasons, large diaper bags (over 13″ x 17″) and back baby carriers must be kept in the complimentary storage lockers. Front carriers may be used.
- Nursing mothers may inquire at the Visitor Services Desk about a convenient place to nurse.
- When you need a break or if the kids need a place to unwind, the Family Art Center is a kid-friendly place to play.
Photography in the Museum
- Personal photo, video, and/or audio recording is generally permitted in museum public spaces for private noncommercial use, as long as it does not impede pedestrian traffic or a visitor’s experience with the artwork in any way. No tripods, monopods, or selfie sticks are permitted.
- The use of flash is permitted as long as the flash device is an integral part of the camera (no external attachments are allowed).
- Photography and videography are generally not permitted in special exhibition spaces. Please look for signage indicating what is or is not permissible.
- The Walters reserves the right to refuse access and/or photo, video, or audio recording rights to any visitor or group, at any time, anywhere on museum property.
- All visitors to the museum, including members of the press/news media, must respect other visitors. Many visitors do not want to be photographed, videotaped, recorded, or bothered in any manner.
- The Walters may take photos of activities for promotional use. Please provide written notification to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like your or your child’s photo omitted from our materials.
- The museum is not available for photo shoots of any kind, including engagement photos, fashion photo shoots, graduation portraits, etc. Additionally, videography is prohibited.
- Additional information is available from the photography policy.
Amenities for Your Visit
- A parking lot is conveniently located across the street from the museum at Centre and Cathedral Streets.
- The cafe and store are located on the first floor of the Centre Street building.
- The Visitor Services Desk at Centre Street is ready to help make your museum experience as convenient and comfortable as possible. Bring any questions or needs to our team at the desk during regular museum hours, and they will assist you with your visit. Members can also have their parking tickets validated for the Cathedral Street lot.
- Complimentary lockers can be found in the main lobby of the Centre Street Building.
- Lost and Found. If you lose an item during your visit, please inquire at the Visitor Services Desk in the Centre Street lobby or call 410-547-9000, ext. 264. Items are kept for a maximum of 30 days; unclaimed items are donated to a registered charity.
- An ATM is located on Level 1A of the Centre Street Building, near the restrooms and drinking fountains.